11 June 2013


exercise...

...this post is part of Rosalilium's Blog Every Day in May - #BEDM but I am going to create a post as often as I can throughout June and beyond. It can be difficult to blog every day but my aim is to make it to the end and hopefully it will help me to kick start this blog.

Day 5 - Fit and Healthy

What do I do to stay fit or keep healthy? One big answer is swimming. For the past 15 years, I have swam once or twice a week - give or take a year or so out and last year I finally signed up to a monthly swim pass at my local sports centre. One swim session is nearly £4 and a pass costs me £21 per month which I can use every available day in the month! Last year I was swimming about five times a week - mainly on weekdays as it was a way to get out the house when I didn't have a job. I cant do any fancy or quick swimming but I am considering taking swimming lessons as it would be great to improve and vary my swim strokes. I often swim 28m lengths for 45 to 60 minutes. I enjoy it - I was once recommended swimming by a mental health nurse and it helped at the time and continues to help me. It gives me time to take a break, relax and after the first lengths, I find my brain clears while I concentrate on my breathing and swim rhythm. While in the water, I think about daily or future tasks, how best to approach these tasks and what to cook for tea or eat when I get back.

Walking is another thing that keeps me active. I live very close to the city centre and there is no point catching bus as I am two stops out of the ring road. I walk to and from the sports centre and do the same again to get to my part time job. Holidays are often spent in the UK, taking short breaks to places that have walking routes nearby and we enjoy gentle roaming about taking in the local scenery. We visited Falmouth at the end of April this year and spent two days doing three walks we found in guide books borrowed from the library. Again - Porthcurno and the Lizard are both stunning places to go for a walk and cream tea. The next holiday place on the list is going to be somewhere in Wales. Now we have a car - we may spend more time out walking.

Future fitness plans include maybe buying a new or second hand bicycle and taking up squash again as John enjoys playing squash - it is something we have done in the past but now kept up on a regular basis. I would like to have more strength in my arms/upper body but I am more of a have fun while keeping fit person and only enjoy the weight sessions with a workout friend - some one to keep me going and vice versa.


No comments: