16 September 2009

eyes...

...observational drawing is cool. while out in the sun last week, i sat in st. peters square or thereabouts and drew some people. the best ones to draw are the suits. they are always dressed, carrying something or other, talking on a phone and just talking in general in 'suit talk' which can be funny to listen to. they use words to baffle people and half the time, none of it ever makes sense. there were plenty of pigeons to draw and i should have drawn the trees and other things around me but i think the bigger sketchbook would have been better for that so next time i will be taking it with me. i am gearing myself to have a go at drawing actual people as i know the lions, minus there features, pretty much look like people now anyway and it is time to move on with my drawing.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I like the business lion :D
Looking forward to seeing you adapt them into humans.

Christiane said...

They're pretty human-like already, except for the hair/mane. I think people who can do the suit talk have stopped realizing that none of it makes any sense. I'd like to do more observational drawing, but I'm never sure where to do it...Do people ever try to peek into your sketchbook?

Jennie said...

I like observational drawing too; I am really glad of the strong emphasis on sketch pad work at the University, I think it leaves us valuing our sketch pads and raw ideas and that's really important in the creative process... I thought your sketch book was super when I saw your work, it reminded me of an artist's book.