08 June 2009

a picture...

...tells a thousand words. well, a couple of hundred or so words depending on what i write. here we have a photograph of mr robotington with his girlfriend Rachel. she is a purple-y colour and they are sitting on my knitting machine. i bought it over two and half years ago at a village auction for three pounds. it has been sat in a box for a very long time so this weekend, the mister's mum and i got it out and set it up. she showed me how to cast on, knit, knit with a pattern card and cast off. the bit that i knitted is at the side of mr robotington. it knits so fast. i am awaiting some blank pattern cards so i can punch my own pattern on one and get knitting my own designs. it came with a ribber, a lace thing and some other mechanical bits but i have just kept out the main bit and a bit that allows me to knit more than two colours. i am a little bit excited.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Cool, I wish I could knit, but I broke the knitting machine when I was a kid (I think it was my sister's...)
I like the shade of the lady robot - girly but not too much so. :-)
Hope you're ok.

Christiane said...

They look like they could operate the knitting machine! That piece you've made would maybe make a good legwarmer? I remember how some kids of mums who had these machines in the 80s had fancy horse head patterns knitted into their sweaters and I was so embarrassed about my mum's hand-knitting style...:o)

drinking in the morning sun said...

ahh those robots are so cute! did you make them? well done if you did. hopefully after my degree ill keep up with the creative stuff. theres nothing more satisfying then making an original of something*

Deb said...

thank you all! i did make the robots myslef-been making them for about two years now. the knitting machine is waiting until the flat is once again tidy before i start to play. there is a catalogue of fancy patterns, girls dancing on the back of horses, swimming fish etc but i have only got what patterns the previous owner bought which are the more traditional ones. dx.

Emm@ said...

Check out the lady robotington! Love her.

And WOW! Knitting machine! Awesome!

natural attrill said...

Like Rachel!
Good luck with the knitting machine, cant wait to see what you make.
Penny.