09 April 2008




aquatint...

...robber bird and a verb or a 'doing word' that people should wear everyday. about four years ago i remember a woman spoke to me in whsmiths and told me to smile. so i did and she said you should smile more often. i drew this word on one of the blank pages and used some typography research to help me with the font style. in the print room today, i added an aquatint to the bird plate. the first attempt didn't work so i tried again. first i de-greased the copper and when it was dry, used an airbrush gun to apply an even coating of the aquatint solution (magda the lovely technician helped). it is light a brick red colour. when that is then dry, i painted out the areas with 'stop out' which protects the areas where i didn't want the aquatint to be etched. when the plate is entirely dry it then went in the Edinburgh etch. i have never done an aquatint before. not even in a-level printmaking as i was too scared. i remember why now as it is a very quick process. i was going to leave it in the etch for an hour as i was going by the time of what it takes for a normal hard ground etch. thank god i checked with tracey the technician first! i only had to leave the plate in the etch for one minute and forty seconds for it to have aqua-tinted. the result is the print i have posted up. aquatint applies an even tonal area and the longer it stays in the etch the darker the aquatint will be when printed. so if i had left it in for a hour it would have been so dark that maybe his eyes would have disappeared. tomorrow i have a little plan of action, some screen printing, further dummy book work and maybe a soft ground or another aquatint on the robber bird plate.

there will be a robber bird print for sale on etsy within a couple of days. i am just waiting for the print to dry so i can sort it out properly and that ready for sale.

6 comments:

ANGLESEY ALLSORTS said...

Hi u! all a bit over my head ~ you are all Ssoooo clever! but I love the images especially the birdie one holding the button! Glad you enjoyed the biccies - I like to share ( the world can be a mean place ~ we have to do what we can to redress the balance!)
X Vicky X

Catherine said...

I was too scared to do an aquatint at college (wimpish me!) so well done. Robbin' robin looks great. Does he have a gang of street-urchin-birds perhaps, who help him steal things? And does he have my marbles, I appear to have lost them?

Chris.P said...

Very nice Ladysnail. I had some very inspiring tutors for printing when I was at college. I quite enjoyed doing aquatints etc, but I didn't get to do enough of them to get that proficient at it.

natural attrill said...

Hi Deb,
Sorry not to have left a comment for a while, I see you have put loads on your blog! I just love that little bandit bird at the top!
P.x

Christiane said...

Hi,
yes, the robber bird is really cute!
It looks like an interesting technique, too. You've been really productive+creative. Chx

Jennie said...

Hi Lady Snail,

I just want to say... how did you think of such an ace title for your blog? I remember coming across your blog before I knew about preston illustration and the related links and I thought who is this? what is this? It's really interesting and fresh! Lovely cute pictures!

Keep going with the work. Hope the shoulder is better!

Jennie

p.s. Oh yes, I completely changed my blog because the last one was just about my older work and didn't really reflect me as in me now - if that makes sense...

p.p.s. could I put a link to your blog on my blog?