23 January 2008


stanley...

...a one week project set by the tutors at university. we had the choice of two short stories and had to produce an illustration for one of them. i had plans to do a screen print-don't i always-but i was scared to draw plus combined with drawing in a fresh new sketchbook made me feel even worse. i did a lot of library research about the wildflowers that are mentioned at the end of the story and made a decision to go with the repetitive 'my father' and 'Stanley' words that appear throughout the story. i decided to go with a stitched collage illustration but the picture above is only a part of what i made as the whole thing is a three by three grid of the old man's face resulting in nine pictures of him. i tried to scan it all in but i had difficulty trying to line it up on the computer. i enjoyed making it and created a huge mess. huge thanks go to Andy who helped me stay focused on the ideas i had as i would have phaffed around forever. my image doesn't really represent what the short story is about and i should have really checked my understanding of it with the tutor on Friday. i now know to do this in the future and a lesson was learned. reading in between the lines of literature is something i am not good at.

5 comments:

natural attrill said...

I like all the various styles of stitching you have used.
P.x

Catherine said...

I like what you've done :) Don't feel bad about misinterpreting the story, the most important thing right now is developing your approach.

moombaduo- Andy Wong said...

Despite time working against you, I think you did a great piece of work here Debbie:D
I think the image works nicely as a whole and the smaller finer details such as the different stitching around each of the stanleys is really nice too^-^

Erica-Jane said...

I think that looks beautiful!
Can't wait to see how you fill up the pages of your sketch book!

Erica
x

Marisa Bogg said...

I think it looks great! I like the textures you used on the quilt.